Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Shape Project Critique Assessment

Unfortunately the best photo I could get of my second 2D Design project was with my camera phone just before I turned it in the be graded. Not the best picture. I assure you it looks better in person.

This project was a shape-based project. We had to pick two adjectives and create a triptych based on the merging on those two adjectives. We started out with a list of something like 10 adjectives which we narrowed down over a few classes to the two we ended up working with. My final words were violent and wavy.

For my written critique (from other students) I got:

Good: flow & shape of design
Bad: transition kind of weird, look good separately.
Change: less negative space in 1st 2.

I'm supposed to critique my critique. Allow me to mention that we had something like 15 minutes to write these things. I think whoever did mine was feeling lazy. I by no means think my piece is perfect. There are a few things I'd change, like:

01. Adding another white bit at the bottom of the middle one.
02. Adding a few more knife-shaped bits on the first panel.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with my transition. It was ridiculously hard to do considering it was made of cut paper. I mean, how do you think I got all my pieces to fit together so perfectly? Let me tell you, it wasn't by magic. And as far as the comment on the white space; triptychs aren't supposed to be viewed one panel at a time. I purposely placed everything the way I did for an overall aesthetically pleasing wave shape.

Here is the sketch of my original idea and some of my other ideas for the project.




No comments:

Post a Comment