Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Line Project Critiques

Our first project for 2D Design dealt with line. Here are a couple of my preliminary sketches for the assignment.



Here is my final piece (cleaned up in photoshop for improved viewing purposes). As you can see it's basically an edited version of my second idea.

I used a range of curved and straight lines of varying intensity to fill the space. The fluidity of the curved lines create a tension with the grouped straight lines and I feel like this piece completely fulfills the guidelines for the project. It's weakness, I'll be the first to admit, is in the execution. You can't tell from the photo, but this piece is enormous. And drawing clean, curved lines that are that long is VERY difficult. I utilized both india ink applied with a brush and micron pens to create the lines.

The lines themselves could have had a little more variance in boldness. Up close it looks fine, but from farther off it looks a bit skeletal and unfinished. I personally don't have a HUGE problem with that aspect, but it was brought to my attention in critique several times.

This was by far the piece receiving the most positive feedback. It's use of line was unique and definitely made it stand apart from the other projects. It was executed beautifully with excellent craftsmanship. What stands out to me was that it utilized the type of free, squiggly, thin lines that make up hair in a way that separates it from it's original context.


This is the piece that stood out to me as being somewhat weak, not so much dealing with craftsmanship or execution, but due to the fact that I hardly think this piece is about line. Yes, it is COMPOSED of lines, but so is Micky Mouse and you could hardly call either a work that speaks on line as an element of design particularly. It deals so much with shape and depth, I don't think it fulfills the requirements of the assignment.

Otherwise I also feel it suffers slightly from the same problem as my own piece. It's a bit, skeletal and gives the impression of being unfinished... like that of a coloring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment